Wednesday, 26 May 2010
During the process of producing my final major project I have learnt many new techniques with drawing, colouring and adding textures. At the beginning of the project just after finishing Pre Production, I started working on different styles for my characters (which did take me a long time). Now that I’ve finished I feel that I didn’t adventure to a wide range of styles. But I’m glad that I chose this style because it’s the look I was looking for. I feel that I spent too much time on creating the clothes for each character, colour test and character turnarounds. This ate up about five weeks of the project time; this affected the process in the rest of the Tetsu project. Because of this it meant less time on each of the other disciplines. Drawing the character poses helped develop my drawing skills in the use of positioning a character and the use of perspective. Using perspective with my characters has always been my weak point and this project I feel has slightly changed the way I draw, I will continue to develop on this area.
Designing the backgrounds for the Tetsu series took me along time to colour and design because of the detail involved. The use of textures made life a bit easier because the textures brought depth into the images. I feel that the backgrounds slightly differ in design from Pre Production style. This is because I rushed the backgrounds because of the amount of time I had left. I didn’t draw enough props and logos compared to what I imagined due to time. I feel that towards the end of the project, that anything I did was rushed and wasn’t the quality I wanted within the designs, and I feel slightly disappointed in my work. The first insitu with Tetsu running from Nala, I believe this was the best insitu because the other two insitu’s, I was working off the original sketches. I collaborated with Pete Miser from CG to create a 3D model of Calamity because the Tetsu series is designed to be made into a computer animated cartoon, with an outline to the characters and backgrounds. Pete never finished it and hasn’t been in for a long time. Collaborating with Tony Brain worked well; I did the backgrounds for his “Fuzzy Rampage” short film. This gave me the opportunity to try a different style out compared to what I usually design.
The Personal Project was the most rushed thing I have ever done. Because I spent a lot of time into the Tetsu Project I didn’t have much time left on the personal. This led to problems in putting the game together and using scripts. I have learnt not to leave things to the last minute. Overall the book came together okay, with everything I wanted in the book. I plan on putting together a volume 2 book after the glammies